Friday, October 24, 2008

Welcome to Al Asad Air Base, Iraq


I arrived last Friday morning...at least I think it was Friday, maybe Saturday, but I know it was morning! We had to fly out of Kuwait around 0500, so that meant loading a bus at 2300 the night before, driving to the other air base, and then waiting for all the necessary briefings and loading time. My unit flew in two waves. I was on the second wave...so in true Army fashion, the 2nd wave flight left first.




We are here to provide an Oasis for the Warrior!









Main Street Al Asad, right outside my housing area.






We were greeted by the normal heat, wind, and dust of the desert. Not the worst they've had here, but here's a small dust storm rolling in.










The dust just rolls in and falls. Leaving a coating on everything. Everything tasted and smelt like dust for the first few days...I can't notice it anymore. We have gotten good at taping up all the openings to our living spaces after seeing stuff like this!
This is my "Can City," Normandy. Cans are the trailers they use, or also called CHU's - Containerized Housing Units. My can city is the oldest on the base but I think it's the nicest. Very close to work, spacious bathroom trailers (called ablution units), and right in the middle of downtown.

The next picture is a vintage shot of the main entry control point (ECP) gate with it's "wings." It doesn't look like that any more since a truck hit one of the wings coming through the gate on convoy, so someone decided to demolish the wing part of the structure. It's a shame because I think the original architecture gives real character to the place. The base was built in the late 60s and 70s by Afghans with Soviet/Eastern-Block era ideas and architecture. It's kinda neat!
Sunset behind the mosque right next to my can city. Beautiful building but not in use...and "off limits" to military folks...I have to go in there!!! It's a great landmark for finding my way around base because you can see it from all over.
Plenty more photos to come....and I'll show you what I'm actually doing here, CONSTRUCTION!

I miss you all and look forward to hearing from anyone who wants to write. My mailing address is:
Travis Mortimer
Base Command Group
Al Asad AB Iraq
FPO, AE 09333

1 comment:

*Charly* said...

Hello!
I love the pictures, the mosque has been fixed up a bit now. The domes are both panted dark green and the outer walls are white. .they planted a 'garden' and installed new lights in the tower.
Take care!
An MP heading home soon!

How to catch a terrorist