Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Marine Corps Marathon (forward)

The Marine Corps Marathon is one of the premier running events in the US. Usually limited to those who applied months in advance and are then selected by lottery, running "the people's marathon" is a tremendous experience. Since Operation Iraqi Freedom began, many race clubs have sponsored their events in the forward deployed area to run simultaneously with their main event. This year, the Marine Corps Marathon ran a "forward" version of the race, offering a certified course, official t-shirts, bibs, and race packets to anyone who wanted to run the race on base. I love this stuff---so of course I signed up...and the best part was it was FREE! This race usually costs $80-$100, and many races easily exceed that amount for entry.
Well, it turns out that the "rainy season" started the same morning as the Marathon! This turned into the USMC MUD RUN!! We had two inches of rain in the couple of hours before the race and it was a flash flood almost instantly. Many decided to stay home, but not I!
Good Stuff!!

An aid station at mile 4 or so. This area got hit the hardest because all the water started like a tidal wave at them here! I originally signed up to "work" the aid station but was later talked into running it. I would have been at this station if I worked instead of recreated that day.

My roommate offering to help these runners through the aid station!



The flash flood was not as bad as everyone made it out to be, only minor destruction, power loss, flooding of only a couple LSA's (Life Support Areas), a car being washed away, and a couple aid stations wiped out! I was truly disappointed when the race was cancelled. It was the perfect day to run...once the rain stopped. And the water would have eventually receded. It makes no difference once you're already wet.
So here I am finishing the cancelled race. They caught everyone at a turnaround point and directed us into the finish area. I was able to get just short of 10 miles that day, and I was feeling GREAT! That guy next to me was pooped out a mile earlier and I told him to 'go get it' and was yelling at him to run harder for the camera. These Marines love that crap!!

1 comment:

Baker4 said...

thats what i call playing in the rain. lol. way to motivate those marines! hoorah

How to catch a terrorist