Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Checking In ~ & the Last Moustache Chronicle

It has been a while since I last blogged. The Internet has been a nightmare here lately. It takes many attempts and several hours to eventually upload a couple photos. For $70/month, my roommate and I share the Internet connection...so the time is limited. I was able to upload some shots of the happenings of late. First, my moustache had to go. I was grouped in with grody staches like Greg here (who still flaunts his). Greg is proud of his manilicious face fur. I give it an 8 on the nasty scale.

Or Woody's here. We call him Lieutenant Dangle-stache. The name is from the show "Reno 911" where there's a gross cop with the same name. Both are as gross! His is a 9 on the nasty scale.

So here's the last shot of my old stache. Probably won't grow one again until the next dare. It's not my style to have one. I am shown here inside one of my projects, a new $4.5M Regional Detention Facility. It will be finished next month but likely will not house any detainees because of the new Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) with Iraq where the US won't hold Iraqi prisoners for longer than 24 hours. This new prison is really nice, with monolithic concrete walls, and loud "clangy" sounding doors. The facility is very imposing and substantial. There are no water boarding tables or torture cells here, I promise!


So I'll close with a photo of my job security. Check out the wiring system on this building behind me. There is going to be PLENTY of work here for Engineers as long as this "expeditionary wiring" exists. It is amazing that more people haven't died, but there are regular fires, black outs, shocks, and the occasional electrocution. BTW, those spools on the ground have energy running through them too...this is no way to do business!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Wow, that wiring is crazy.... Be careful around that stuff!!! And, I love the you the way you look without that stache, but I have enjoyed the very entertaining mustache chronicles:)
Have a wonderful day!

Jeni said...

Hey love the blog Travis! I've enjoyed reading Meredith's also! The family sure has grown since Iceland! :)

Keep up the good work over there in Iraq and if you could just go ahead and get it all cleaned up so Josh doesn't have to go I would appreciate it! LOL!

How to catch a terrorist